When it comes to social media, size does matter. And, not all social media platforms are created equal. We’ll explain the optimal social media image sizes that you should create in 2020.
Whether social media is central or supplemental to your overall digital marketing strategy, having the right size can help keep your brand tight.
Have you ever seen social media posts where the image is warped or blurry? It simply looks unprofessional.
Below is the recommended social media sizes for posts but read on because there’s more to it than just posts. We’ll explain the sizes for profile pictures, ads, videos, etc.
Recommended social media standard post sizes in 2020:
- Instagram: 1080 x 1080
- Facebook: 1200 x 630
- Twitter: 1024 x 512
- LinkedIn: 1200 x 628
- Pinterest: 800 x 1200
Because we’ll always adhere to the guidelines, our images will look clean, crisp and optimal for desktop and mobile.
The following are the ideal image sizes to use on social media for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest.
Instagram is still a very image-rich platform that can bring a lot of attention to your brand. Many young companies have built their brand, reputation and sales through Instagram.
Optimal Instagram image and video sizes for 2020
- Instagram profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Instagram photo post size (square): 1080 x 1080
- Instagram photo post size (landscape): 1080 x 566
- Instagram photo post size (portrait): 1080 x 1350
- Instagram Story size: 1080 x 1920
- Minimum Instagram video size (square): 600 x 600
- Minimum Instagram video size (landscape): 600 x 315
- Minimum Instagram video size (portrait): 600 x 750
Instagram is the “newer guy” but Facebook is still the most popular of all the social network sites. According to Statista, Facebook has about 2.3 billion monthly active users.
There’s still real opportunity for digital marketers to connect with their audience via Facebook.
Optimal Facebook image and video sizes for 2020
- Facebook profile picture size: 180 x 180
- Facebook cover photo size: 820 x 312
- Facebook link image size: 1200 x 628
- Facebook image post size: 1200 x 630
- Facebook highlighted image size: 1200 x 717
- Facebook video size: 1280 x 720
- Facebook image ad size: 1280 x 628
- Facebook video ad size: 1280 x 720
- Facebook Story ad size: 1080 x 1920
Note: Facebook Business page dimensions are the same as Facebook personal accounts.
The nosiest social media network of them all. Using eye-catching graphics can make your Tweets stand out from the competition.
It’s proven that Tweets that contain images will produce more retweets than if it were just all text.
Optimal Twitter image and video sizes for 2020
- Twitter profile picture size: 400 x 400
- Twitter header background size: 1500 x 500
- Twitter post image size: 1024 x 512
- Twitter video size (square): 720 x 720
- Twitter video size (landscape): 1280 x 720
- Twitter video size (portrait): 720 x 1280
- Twitter image ad size: 1200 x 675
- Twitter video ad size: 720 x 720
I think LinkedIn is a very underutilized social media network for many companies and brands. Not only is it a way to engage with your professional audience but it’s a way to sell your personal brand.
Optimal LinkedIn image and video sizes for 2020 for your company
- LinkedIn company logo size: 300 x 300
- LinkedIn cover image size: 1536 x 768
- LinkedIn Sponsored Content image size: 1200 x 628
Optimal LinkedIn image and video sizes for 2020 for your personal page
- LinkedIn profile picture size: 400 x 400
- LinkedIn image background size: 1584 x 396
- LinkedIn post image size (desktop): 1200 x 1200
- LinkedIn post image size (mobile): 1200 x 628
- LinkedIn post size: 1200 x 628
- LinkedIn minimum video size: 256 x 144
- LinkedIn maximum video size: 4096 x 2304
Pinterest is another underutilized platform that can generate a lot of brand awareness and traffic to your website.
Optimal Pinterest LinkedIn image sizes for 2020
- Pinterest profile picture size: 165 x 165
- Pinterest sharing image size: 800 x 1200
- Pinterest promoted pins: 600 x 900
Creating Images for Social Media
Now that you understand the sizes for social media images and videos, you’ll need to create the said images. The best and easiest way I’ve found is using Canva.
Canva is a great resource to create eye-catching images for your social media profile, posts and ads. They have designs already created that you can customize or you can easily create your own from scratch.
We continue to stay up-to-date on the trends so we’ll make the appropriate updates when things change.
In the meantime, have fun creating shareable posts!